====Things You'll Need====
- Carts Or Wheelbarrows
[[|Suggest Edits]]#*1Gather the following supplies from a hardware or home improvement store: cloth or plastic sandbags, polyethylene sheeting, sand, a shovel and a wheelbarrow.
- 2Plan to work with another person. One person should hold the bag while the other one fills it.
- 3Fill the sandbag one-quarter to one-half full with sand. It should weigh about 40 lbs.
- 4Fold the empty part of the bag over. Be sure that when you place the bag, the folded-over side is facing down, so that no water will seep in. If one bag leaks, the whole pile will be ruined.
- 5Dig a trench around the area you want to protect. (The standard trench is usually 4 to 6 inches deep and 18 to 24 inches wide.)
- 6Lay the polyethylene sheeting in the trench and secure it with several sandbags. The sandbags should be placed in the direction of the water flow, and there should be no space in between bags.
- 7Complete one row before you begin the next.
- 8Stagger the second row on top of the first (similar to the way that bricks are staggered in a wall). This system provides added protection.
- 9Limit your stack to three layers of sandbags, since any more may not be sturdy.
- 10Following the rainy season, empty the sand into your garden and save the bags for next year.